A Short History
The earliest record of any official connection between Brechin Town Council and bagpipe music is contained in the minutes of the magistrates on 20th June 1688 appointing John Wyslie to the post of Town Piper.
The earliest record of a Pipe Band in Brechin is the formation in 1884 of a band to lead the local volunteer detachment, this band also took part in various local ceremonies related to the funeral of Queen Victoria and the welcome home to local men who served in the Boer War.
Brechin Town Council drew up the Pipe Band's Constitution in 1950 naming the band "The City of Brechin Pipe Band" -
About the Band
Pipe Major -
Drum Sgt -
The band is based in the Cathedral City of Brechin in Angus, Scotland. The City of Brechin Pipe Band is a registered member of the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association (Dundee, Perth and Angus Branch). The band consists of two bands: one in Grade 3A and the other in Grade 4B. In 2006 we gained Registered Charity Status (No: SCO 37508).
In its early days the band consisted of players mainly from the Brechin area. Nowadays, players are drawn from Aberdeen, Arbroath, Brechin, Dundee, Forfar, Kirriemuir, Laurencekirk and Montrose. These dedicated musicians travel twice weekly to practices throughout the year in preparation for the busy summer schedule of competitions and engagements.
As well as playing with the band, members also compete in solo competitions under the band name with a large degree of success.